Today is Rare Disease Day and I thought I'd share some things I hate about having a chronic illness. I've suffered with chronic pain for sixteen years, and here's a few things that are shitty about it.
- The actual illness and comorbidities are crap, painful, stressful etc.
- Constantly cancelling/rearranging plans
- Inability to be spontaneous
- Never knowing how well you'll feel
- Always worrying about accessibility
- Judgement from people that don't have your condition but think they know it better than you do
- Pretending to be okay so nobody worries
- People only see your good days and assume you're faking
- Insensitive comments
- Lack of independence
- Simple tasks drain so much energy
- Viewed as a drug addict
- Mind and body are affected
- You lose people
- Feeling guilty for spending time in bed/cancelling plans/wasting days
- Always apologising for your shitty health
- Difficult to meet new people
- Coming to the realisation that this is your life
I understand that this isn't the most positive of posts but I'm a strong believer in writing about the good, the bad and the absolute worst, because having a chronic condition certainly isn't rainbows and unicorns...if only it was, hey!?